Joanne McHarg is 6ft 3 with size 10 feet and knows what it's like to experience the ups & downs of height
Here she offers advice to any girls who lack confidence with their height
Most importantly you should think positive. You are gorgeous and you need to know it. A confident looking, happy person will attract others. Nobody wants to know the uncomfortable looking person cowering in the corner.
Always remember that everyone has some insecurity, whether it is their skin, hair, weight, looks, personality - think yourself lucky; your insecurity is actually an asset.
OK so it is harder to get clothes and shoes to fit (we are trying to help you there!), but people do treat you differently. A tall woman is automatically treated with respect. People assume you are confident, intelligent and capable of doing things for yourself. A short woman is often patronised and treated as someone younger and less intelligent than they are. As you get older and start a career you will find this an asset - especially when you start earning more money than your shorter female colleagues!
When it comes to boyfriends, tall girls like us sometimes have difficulties. You may think that boys your own age don't like you - but it's not true. They are in awe of you and don't quite know how to approach you - YET! Usually younger men find it hard to know how to chat up a tall girl. Because of their lack of confidence in their own decisions they usually go for the obvious option, the stereotypical girls that their mates would not find challenging. Young men have a strange mentality - they all wear the same branded clothes because they need to belong, they all look for the same brand of girl. Whereas a girl would wear what is fashionable, fits and what suits her- the clothes could be any brand, and so could the man!
Girls simply develop confidence in their decisions from an earlier age. Girls know what they like and why they like it. They tend to like a boy for his personality more than his looks. A boy usually goes for a what is perceived by his peers as an acceptable look for a girl: whether this be related to height, hair length, looks or dress. The good news is that as they get older, and boys grow up to be men they find out what they really like.
Remember that you don't have to dress a certain way to attract a boyfriend. And if you go over the top you are in danger of looking like a cross-dresser! When you go out with your friends to a pub or a club, you will find that a lot of women go out of their way to be noticed - they wear the shortest skirts, the most make up, the biggest hair. You have to simply walk into a room to be noticed. And they are looking at you in admiration - not for any other reason.
OK, so you will never be the cute little girl, but the cute little girl will never get to be the elegant, sophisticated women that you will be.
Think of these successful (and gorgeous) tall women:
Michelle Obama 5ft10 ¾ | Jodie Kidd 6ft | Blake Lively 5ft10 | Penny Lancaster 6ft1 | L’wren Scott 6ft4 | Maria Sharapova 6ft2 | Tyra Banks 5ft11 | Giselle Bundchen 5ft11 | Katie Holmes 5ft9 | Cameron Diaz 5ft9 | Liv Tyler 5ft10 | Zoe Ball 6ft | Liz Hurley 5ft9 | Nicole Kidman 5ft10 | Uma Thurman 6ft | Julia Roberts 5ft9 | Claudia Schiffer 5ft11 | Charlize Theron 5ft9 | Minnie Driver 5ft10 | Elle Macpherson 6ft | Sophie Dahl 5ft11...
Tall is beautiful. Always remember that you are!
If you want to chat to other tall girls like you visit our Facebook group, we will also update you on any special offers and new style launches
Director of Tall Girls
There is a reason why many models are blessed with Amazonian proportions - tall girls make clothes look great! So if you're going to do your height proud remember a few golden tall rules:
Don't slouch - it will make even the most gorgeous clothes look bad.
- Clothes that show off your waist give you a better figure. Baggy clothes or clothes with straight lines make you look longer. If you are going to wear a baggy top - team it with skinnies; and if you like a wide leg style wear it with a fitted top - never wear baggy top and bottom!
- With bright colours try not to wear the same colour top and bottom. This accentuates your size and draws attention to it! Keep bright colours to one section only - try our coloured tops with neutral colour trousers like black, denim or stone.
- Don't go over the top! Don't try to make yourself feel more feminine by wearing excessive make up, a shorter skirt etc. You can end up looking like a drag queen! To look more feminine, be subtle and elegant
- Walk with confidence. If you feel good you will look good. Even the worst clothes look great on a model. It's all in your posture and attitude.
- Try to wear clothes that fit. Clothes that are made for the average height girl have darts, waist and hip lines in the wrong position - garments will look baggy on your waist (hiding your figure), tight on your hips and your bust will look squashed. You will feel uncomfortable - and look it too.
- Tall girls look great in wide belts - this also helps to make the body look in proportion.
- Long legs look great in skinny jeans; tall girls are the privileged people who can carry off this look. If you want to slim your legs wear them with heels; but if you’re blessed with skinny pins flats will give you a more relaxed look.